The role of hydrocolloid dressings
1. Moisturizes and promotes autolytic debridement.
2. Absorb a small amount of exudate to promote epithelial crawling.
3. Provide a closed environment (not for infected wounds) to prevent bacteria from invading wounds.
4. It can be used as an outer dressing to fix it.
5. The surface is smooth, which can reduce friction and prevent pressure ulcers.
1.2 stage pressure ulcers
2. Small area superficial burns
3. Donor site wound
4. Superficial abrasions
5. Venous leg ulcers
6. Chronic wound granulation stage and epithelial crawling stage
For superficial wounds, it can reduce the friction of the sacrococcygeal region (the dressing is cut to conform to the shape of the gluteal cleft). For superficial wounds, the outer dressing can play a fixed role
- Protect the skin: In clinical work, sometimes the wound is closed with adhesive tape. During the process of closing, the normal skin with adhesive tape may appear blisters. Therefore, a small piece of water can be cut in advance in clinical practice. The colloid is attached to the normal skin, and then the seam-free tape is attached to the hydrocolloid to close the wound to protect the skin. In fact, when hydrocolloids are used in wounds, they mainly stick to the healthy skin around the wounds. When they are removed, they may damage the fragile skin, so be careful when removing them.
- Prevention of medical device-related pressure ulcers: Hydrocolloid dressings can be used for face masks and nasal intubation to reduce the pressure and friction of the device on the skin and prevent medical device-related pressure ulcers.
- For patients undergoing enterostomy, if the stoma excretions will contaminate the wound, a hydrocolloid dressing can be applied to the wound, which not only promotes wound healing, but also prevents the wound from being polluted, and can better adhere to the stoma floor.
- The hydrocolloid should be about 2cm wider than the wound to make the dressing fit the skin adequately. If the depth of the wound is more than 5mm, a suitable dressing should be selected to fill the wound before using the hydrocolloid dressing, and it should be changed according to the exudate condition.
Post time: May-16-2022